"The Oxford Way"

So in a sense I just wrote my first "Oxford style" essay. Oxford students, while they read and study a ton, don't seem to write their actual essays until the last minute. You might assume they start a day or two in advance and go through multiple drafts, but no. Most, yes I mean that literally, start the night before if not the day of. Now yes, they have certainly done their reading and such but that only accounts for so much of any essay. I just wrote my essay for this week in about 3 hours - that was the actual writing part only. Nevertheless, I'm starting to understand the lifestyle of an Oxford student. A week seems like a lot of time to write one paper but it's really not. You have to find your books for your readings, read those and take notes, tackle the essay topic, do research for your essay, find those resources, read them, outline an essay (or at least a thought process), write the essay then prepare to discuss/defend your ideas - long story short, it's not as easy as it may seem. So yes, while everyone stateside constantly reminds you to never wait until the last minute to start writing, that is indeed "the Oxford way." Oh, I've also learned that 2,000 words isn't all that much.

2 comments:

Linnette said...
May 7, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Your first "Oxford style essay? I believe you have used that style before, good thing you write well.

Love You!
Mom

Emily said...
May 8, 2009 at 7:23 PM

:) :) :)
1) love your mom's comment!!!
2) I'm going to need to plagiarize some chunks of text from your blog for the new improved (quite possibly online) Oxford handbook! OK?

Post a Comment