The British Accent

So I've come across one problem I have with English culture - the accent. From studying Spanish for a decent while (now that I think about it 7 years!) I naturally listen to what is being spoken around me and do my best to replicate it - in a sense I easily absorb accents. In Mexico, Chile and Argentina that was a great thing as it's always appreciated when someone learning a foreign language tries to learn the accents as well; however, when you start to do the same with your own language it becomes a problem. I find myself naturally letting words slip with a British accent. I'm doing my best to stop it but my inner "language learner" is making it quite difficult. Hopefully I can put a stop to this before I meet all of the Regent's students this coming week.

On a side note, I'm told that Brits speaking in an American accent is rather interesting and that they have a hard time doing it - they tend to just insert "like" quite a bit. I really want to hear this firsthand.

2 comments:

Emily said...
April 20, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Just so long as they don't think you're mocking them... don't worry. Being an accent sponge is mostly a great thing!

Raine said...
June 3, 2009 at 1:50 PM

I hate to post this info too late, but apparently there is a book devoted to understanding the british culture, especially when it comes to there accents.

I am still trying to find it, but I would for sure get back to you on that.

Post a Comment